Welcome to (The Occasional) Photo Tip of the Day! Please also visit my main site jeffwignall.com. Text and photographs Copyright 2016 Jeff Wignall.



“The best way out is always through.”


Sunday, November 9, 2008

Become a Storm Cloud Chaser

While taking pictures during a thunderstorm can be kind of messy (not to mention dangerous), taking pictures just before or just after the storm can create some great photo opportunities. I find that the turbulent mix of storm clouds and sun almost always produces some very intense nature shots. If you can add a harbor or perhaps a nice red barn to the foreground, great, but often just the clouds alone are enough for a dramatic image. These clouds were photographed from a beach on Long Island Sound, about ten minutes from my house, just moments after it stopped raining. I saw the sun starting to pierce the clouds and hopped in my car and drove to the beach. The cloud formations tumbled and morphed for about a half an hour and I shot nearly 200 frames. Photos from that half-hour shoot have shown up in three of my books.

No comments: