Welcome to (The Occasional) Photo Tip of the Day! Please also visit my main site jeffwignall.com. Text and photographs Copyright 2016 Jeff Wignall.



“The best way out is always through.”


Saturday, March 7, 2009

Document Your Garden's Progress

It's not quite gardening season here in Connecticut yet, but the days are getting warmer and I am just chomping at the bit to get out and plant some things. But this year I vow to remember to do something I always think of after the fact: document my gardens (especially my container gardens) as they grow.

Once the pots are overflowing with flowers it's easy to forget how much progress your plants have made and how empty they looked in spring. Having shots of how the pots looked when I first planted them really makes me feel like all the hard work was worthwhile. Some years I've had as many as 40 or 50 pots, so it's nice if I can look back and see just how much work I really did. So take time after you plant your garden beds and containers to do before-and-after shots.

3 comments:

Victoria said...

Having recently purchased a Nikon D90 kit with 18-55mm and a 55-200mm lenses, I'm photographing spring as it arrives in my garden. Have been going a bit nuts with the flower photos and even went on a walk around the neighborhood yesterday to get photos of flowering trees in bud/bloom since my yard is too small to support any more trees (already have 3 dogwoods and a HUGE holly tree).

Jeff Wignall said...

Hi Victoria,

I just bought a D90 too and I haven't had a day off to go play with it.But I have been fooling around with it in my office and I LOVE that 3" LCD. Wow, what a nice view.

If you have flowering trees in bud I'm guessing that you're further south than me (Connecticut) and I'm jealous. I can't wait to finish the book book I'm writing and get back outside! And, by the way, I'm pretty much replacing as much of my yard as I can with raised flower beds--goodbye lawn! :)

jeff

Victoria said...

OK - I'm embarrassed to admit how FAR behind I am at looking at the blogs I follow... seems my photo obsession has SERIOUSLY impacted everything else I do ... including following blogs as excellent as yours.

I'm in Bethesda, MD... and yes... we are further south than CT. :-)

One thing I discovered with my D90 is that using that beautiful 3" LCD eats battery power like crazy... so I've stopped using it for shooting and use it only to check occasionally on the photo I captured to see if I have to give it another go... will continue now with your blog and see where you go with talking about the D90. :-)