Welcome to (The Occasional) Photo Tip of the Day! Please also visit my main site jeffwignall.com. Text and photographs Copyright 2016 Jeff Wignall.



“The best way out is always through.”


Thursday, March 26, 2009

Turn a Sunset into a Moonlit Night

A few postings ago (the peacock shot) I talked about using the hue and saturation tool to create striking abstract colors. Last night I was trying to keep myself awake at the computer (that happens a lot at the end of a book project) and I started playing with a sunset image that I shot in Connecticut over Long Island Sound. I decided to see how the scene would look as a moonlit night and so I slid the hue slider all the way to the right which shifts the hues to blue. That's all I did to turn the sunset into a moonscape. I had already made some very minor corrections to brightness in Photoshop, but to create the moonlight look, it just took one quick push of the hue slider. Try it sometime with a sunset if you have Photoshop or Photoshop Elements (and probably any other editing program). I don't think it will fool too many photographers into thinking it was really shot by moonlight, but it still looks kind of cool. I'll post the sunset next so you can see what the original looked like.

By the way, the new book I'm writing is almost done and it's on how to win photo contests, so stay tuned and I'll tell you more about it. I'm hoping it will hit the bookstores by September. It's being published by Lark Books.

No comments: