Welcome to (The Occasional) Photo Tip of the Day! Please also visit my main site jeffwignall.com. Text and photographs Copyright 2016 Jeff Wignall.



“The best way out is always through.”


Monday, April 26, 2010

Experimenting with Texture Overlays

While finishing up the revision of my book the Joy of Digital Photography I did some experimenting with texture overlays and I'll write more about them in a day or two. Basically using an overlay is just a matter of using two images: one of a normal subject, the other of just a texture. You then merge them in Photoshop and create a blend (using the opacity setting) between the texture and the subject. It's a lot of fun and you get some very interesting results. I've been using textures sold by a company called the Flora Bella Collection and, again, I'll write more about this topic and show you what a straight texture file looks like soon. In the meantime, this is Mama Kitty, one of my two cats, and one of the Flora Bella textures.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

I went to the Florabella website. I just love stuff like that. I am sooo loving digital photography. The possibilities are just endless!!

Jeff Wignall said...

Yes, they are endless--which is why at 4:06 a.m I'm at my computer doing Photoshop instead of sleeping (or eating). :)

Lynne said...

diddle mama boo